August 23, 2014 - Word of the Day: stumble
To stumble is to make a mistake, but you can also use this word when a person falls or is just about to fall.
- He stumbled around on his skates before he learned how to balance himself.
- I stumbled over a loose piece of carpeting.
- A two-year-old toddler stumbled, fell, and landed on her head.
- Pete and Bill stumbled into the bar just before it closed.
This word is often used when people make mistakes:
- Sue often stumbles over her words.
- The vice president of the company stumbled too many times, so he was demoted.
- If you stumble, keep trying. Don't give up.
When you find something by surprise or accident, you can use "stumble."
- Wendy stumbled upon a big sale at Macy's. (She didn't know it was happening.)
- Jerry has stumbled into yet another bad situation.
Click here to learn more words.