August 5, 2014 - Word of the Day: upset
The word "upset" has many different shades of meaning as an adjective. It could mean that a person is angry, troubled, worried, or in pain.
- Bertha's upset because her computer isn't working properly. (She's not happy or she's frustrated.)
- John is upset because his kids aren't listening to him. (He's mad.)
- The visitors to the refugee camp were upset by the sight of starving children. (They were very disturbed.)
- Ken was upset by the news of his mother's death. (He was emotionally distraught)
- The sudden change of weather upset our plans to go to the beach. (The plans had to be changed.)
- My stomach is upset. (It hurts.)
He's very upset about something.
Click here to learn more words.