February 1, 2014 - Word of the Day: animal
An animal is a living thing that can move around and reproduce itself. Human beings don't like to think of themselves as animals, but they share many of the same characteristics.
- There are millions of different animals on the planet.
- Some animals eat only plants. They're called herbivores.
- Some animals eat only meat. They're called carnivores.
- Some animals eat both plants and meat. They're called omnivores.
- Vanessa loves animals.
- She's an animal lover.
- Do you like animals?
- Have you ever owned an animal?
- Domesticated animals are called pets.
- Be kind to animals.
- A veterinarian is a doctor who takes care of animals.
Sometimes we use the word "animal" to refer to the behavior of a person.
- Four-year-old David is making animal noises. He likes to imitate animals.
- People at the store behaved like wild animals, pushing, shoving, and fighting over items on clearance.*
- Don't eat like an animal. Bring the food to your mouth. Don't bring your mouth to the food.
- Teenagers at the party acted like animals and destroyed the house.
Animals leave tracks.
*on clearance: on sale
Click here to learn more words.