February 3, 2014 - Word of the Day: cat
Cats are very popular pets. The ones that stay inside are called indoor cats. The ones that go outside are called outdoor cats. A stray is a cat that has lost its home. An alley cat is a city cat that lives on garbage.
People who like cats are called "cat people." Are you a cat person? Or do you like dogs instead?
Many expressions contain the word "cat." Here are some of them:
- Freida is a scaredy cat. (She is a person who is easily frightened)
- The fat cats on Wall Street made a lot of money in 2013. (fat cat = rich person or business person)
- Cat got your tongue? (Are you having trouble saying something?)
- There's more than one way to skin a cat. (There's more than one way to do something.)
- Don't let the cat out of the bag. (Don't say anything about this. It's a secret.)
- When the cat's away, the mice will play. (People goof around when given the opportunity.)
- It's raining cats and dogs. (It's raining very hard.)
- You look like something the cat draggd in. (You look very tired or sick or exhausted.)
I own three very lazy cats.
Download the podcast here:
Click here to learn more words.