February 7, 2014 - Word of the Day: growl
The sound that an animal makes when it is angry or when it is determined to protect itself is a growl. There are many different animals that growl. The badger that you see in the picture above is growling. He's showing his teeth and he's making a growling sound.
- Dogs growl when they see someone they don't know.
- My dog growled at the mailman earlier today.
- Bears growl when protecting their young.
- Lions roar when they communicate with each other, but they also make a low growling sound for many different reasons.
We also use the word "growl" when talking about the sound made by a person's stomach.
- Her stomach is growling because she's hungry.
- Everyone could hear Tom's growling stomach. It growled so loudly it was embarrassing.
- You should eat a good breakfast to prevent your stomach from growling.
This is a difficult word for some students to pronounce. I'll say it slowly and repeat the word.
Click here to learn more words.