An insect is a type of animal. It usually has six legs and wings. Many insects live for a very short time. They also have an exoskeleton, which means that their skeleton is on the exterior of the body. The inside of the body is soft.
This is a difficult word for some students to pronounce:
insect / insects
- Another word for "insect" is "bug."
- Flies, bees, grasshoppers, crickets, and wasps are insects.
- Insects are an important part of the food chain.
- Most insects eat plants, but some eat other insects.
- Insect infestations are controlled with insecticide.
- An organic solution to insect problems is better than the use of chemicals.
- In some parts of the world, people eat insects because they are a source of protein, and they can be tasty!
- In the United States, many people are freaked out* by insects.
*freaked out: scared
Download or listen again to the audio here:
Click here to learn more words.
This page was first published on February 9, 2014. It was updated on May 28, 2016.