February 21, 2014 - Word of the Day: weasel
A weasel is a small mammal with a long, thin body. It steals and eats the eggs and babies of other animals, so it has a reputation for being a thief. Sometimes the word "weasel" is used when describing people:
- That guy is a lying, cheating weasel.
- The weasel who sold us our car lied about the engine.
- Sarah quit her job because her boss was a weasel who cheated customers.
- Not all lawyers are weasels. Many of them are respectable.
You can also use "weasel" as a verb. In this case, it means to avoid a penalty or an obligation.
- Vanessa tried to weasel out of getting a parking ticket.
- Nick always weasels out of doing his homework.
- You can't weasel out of this.
Click here to learn more words.