January 15, 2014 - Word of the Day: ooze
When something oozes, it comes out slowly or it flows in a slow, thick mass of liquidy substance.
- There's some thick oily stuff oozing from my engine.
- Mud oozed onto the highway following the storm.
- Mucus is oozing from the boy's nose. I think he's sick.
- A little bit of blood oozed through the bandage that was placed on the woman's injured leg.
- Sweat oozed from all over the runner's body after the race was over.
Hot lava is oozing from the volcano.
This word is also used in a figurative sense:
- His brain is oozing with knowledge.
- Young women ooze with desire for the members of One Dimension.
- The football players are oozing with confidence following their most recent victory.
Click here to learn more words.