January 18, 2014 - Word of the Day: random
If something happens at random, it happens without regularity or predictability. It's almost impossible to plan for a random event; you can only prepare for it.
- Lightning strikes people at random.
- If you play the lottery, you can have numbers picked for you at random.
- The teacher called on students at random and expected them to know the answers to her questions.
- There have been several random shootings in the United States recently.
- The supervisor chose employees at random when deciding who would work over the weekend.
- A number of mindless, random decisions made by the owner of the company lead to its closure.
- How much RAM is on your computer? RAM stands for random access memory.
Lightning strikes at random.
Click here to learn more words.