January 31, 2014 - Word of the Day: slick
If something is slick, it's smooth or slippery.
- Be careful. The roads are slick today. (The roads are slippery.)
- An ice storm followed by snow created a slick surface on the highways.
- A slick ice rink is good for skating.
If something is slick, it might also be interesting or useful.
- That's a very slick way to get things done.
- An app* on my phone monitors my heart rate. It's very slick.
- The magician knows a lot of slick tricks.
When used to describe a person, the word "slick" could mean that a person is tricky, sly, or possibly deceitful:
- Watch that guy. He's a slick operator.
- The card player was so slick, no one knew he was cheating.
- Mario is too slick for the police. They just can't catch him.
*app: application; program
Click here to learn more words.