A person or an animal that is new is young. This is the opposite of the word "old." This is a word you probably alreadyknow , but some people mispronounce the "y" at the beginning of the word, so pay attention to these examples:
- Young people spend much of their time in school.
- A person who is 14 years old is too young to drive in the United States.
- Matt is 16 and his girlfriend is 15. They're way too young to get married.
- An owl found a young rabbit in my backyard and ate it.
- Charlie says he still feels young at the age of 62.
- How young is too young to start working?
- Bears are very protective of their young.
The word "youngster" is a noun.
- A group of youngsters could be heard playing on the playground.
- Cynthia enjoyed going to the zoo when she was a youngster.
If you have trouble with the "y" sound in English, you can find additional practice on this page.
Click here to learn more words.
This page was first published on January 24, 2014. It was updated on May 24, 2016.