July 17, 2014 - Word of the Day: pronounce
The word of the day, "pronounce," is a verb that we use to describe the sound that your mouth makes when speaking:
- Yang pronounces some words very clearly, but she has trouble with words that begin with the "z" sound.
- Hans pronounces "th" sounds incorrectly, but he's getting better at it.
- Do you know how to pronounce long words in English?
- Many words in English are not pronounced the way that they are spelled.
Sometimes the word "pronounce" is used when an official declaration is made:
- I now pronounce you man and wife. (A minister made the pronouncement.*)
- The man was pronounced dead when he arrived at the hospital. (A doctor made the pronouncement.)
- A jury pronounced that the suspect was guilty of his crimes.
This is what the word looks like as a noun:
- My students practice pronunciation in class.
- Do you have good pronunciation when it comes to English?
- The proper pronunciation of certain words is very important.
- You can practice your pronunciation on this website!
*The word "pronouncement" is also a noun. Use this word for formal situations.
Click here to learn more words.