July 21, 2014 - Word of the Day: stack
These coins are stacked. There are several stacks of coins. Someone stacked the coins.
When things are arranged vertically, you can say they are stacked.
In these sentences, "stack" is a verb:
- The teacher stacked the books on a table.
- Please stack the dishes in the cabinet.
- A person who works in a warehouse organizes and stacks boxes.
In these sentences, "stack" is a noun:
- There are several stacks of books on the tables.
- Put the dishes in a stack.
- He moved a stack of boxes with a forklift.
In these sentences, "stack" is an adjective:
- A pile of stacked books were too high and fell over.
- The dishes aren't stacked yet.
Click here to learn more words.