July 25, 2014 - Word of the Day: wink
To close one eye while keeping the other eye open is known as a wink. Winking happens for a variety of reasons. It usually involves a joke or when a person is kidding another person.
- The woman onstage winked at the audience.
- She winked at them.
- As the doctor entered the room, he winked at his patient.
- He gave his patient a wink. (In this sentence, "wink" is a noun.)
A person might also wink at someone he or she is attracted to.
- Sandra winked at John. She really likes him, and she hopes he'll ask her out on a date.
- Brad gave the woman across the room a wink.
"Someday I'll be the owner of this company and I'll give everyone a big raise," Sandra said while winking at a coworker.
Click here to learn more words.