The word "dozen" is used in place of the number 12. The noun "dozen" is singular and the plural form is "dozens," but you can also use this word as an adjective.
- Noah gave his girlfriend a dozen roses. (This is an adjective. A dozen roses = 12 roses)
- There were dozens of people arrested at the protest. (plural noun)
- There's a dozen in the bag. (singular noun for donuts, bagels, croissants, etc.)
- The bagel shop across the street will give you a baker's dozen when you order a dozen. (a baker's dozen = thirteen)
- I've seen Star Wars dozens of times. (plural noun)
Note: It's very common to buy food and flowers by the dozen.
Click here to learn more words.