June 14, 2014 - Word of the Day: provide
The verb "provide" is very similar to the verb "give." It's common to hear this word used in both the active and the passive voice:
- The company provided pizza to all of its employees during the party. (active voice)
- Pizza was provided to all of the employees during the party. (passive voice)
- Help was provided when needed.
- This school provides a good education.
- The community provides services for elderly residents.
- Her job never provided her with the kind of experience that she was looking for.
- The witness to the crime provided the police with a description of the suspect.
The word "provider" is a noun. Use it for people or organizations:
- Who is your health care provider?
- The largest provider of assistance is the government.
- Eric is a good provider for his family. (He supports his family through his income.)
- Todd is not a very good provider. He's unreliable and lazy.
If you join the military, they'll provide you with everything you need: clothes, food, and a place to sleep.
Click here to learn more words.