March 5, 2014 - Word of the Day: employ
To give a person some kind of work or a job is to employ.
- The company employs over 200 workers.
- That store needs to employ more cashiers.
- The city employed dozens of new staff members last year as it continues to expand its workforce.
The word "employer" is a noun. This word is used to describe the person or the group who hires people:
- Sally's employer provides her with good health insurance
- Todd's employer fired him last year because he was sleeping on the job.
- Who's your employer now?
- Who was your former employer? (former = past)
The word "employee" is also a noun, but this word describes the people who get hired to do a job:
- Felipe does his best to be a good employee.
- Mirna was an employee at the grocery store for over thirty years.
- The employees are asking for a raise. (raise = more money)
- There's a meeting for employees this afternoon.
Click here to learn more words.