March 24, 2014 - Word of the Day: wardrobe
A wardrobe is a collection of clothing. It could be the clothes that are worn every day, but it could also be the clothes that a person wears for work.
- Sandra has a very large wardrobe for work.
- Tim spends a lot of time on his wardrobe.
- Now that Vanessa is going to work downtown, she needs a new wardrobe.
- What kind of wardrobe do you need for work?
- My wife says I need to work on my wardrobe. (My clothes are old and need to be replaced.)
- The wardrobe department for a television or movie studio provides clothing for performers.
She has a nice wardrobe.
Note: The words "wardrobe malfunction" are used when something goes wrong with a person's clothes. A seam splits open, a zipper doesn't work, a part of the body is revealed by accident. This term originated when Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson performed during the 2004 Superbowl halftime show. Jackson's bare breast flopped out of her outfit and this was seen by a very large audience. So, whenever the words "wardrobe malfunction" are used, we recall this event and apply the term to accidental nudity.
Click here to learn more words.