May 13, 2014 - Word of the Day: fasten
Use the word "fasten" when two things are put together and secured by a clip, a screw, a bolt, a buckle, a button, a string, etc.
In the examples below, "fasten" is a verb:
- Fasten your seatbelt. (Put your seatbelt on and make sure it's secure.)
- The shingles on the house are fastened by nails.
- They fastened the legs of the table by using large bolts.
- A man on the boat fastened the sail with a rope.
- The report was fastened together with a clip.
The word "fastener" is a noun:
- A few fasteners broke and the table fell apart.
- We have to replace a fastener on the door.
- Steel fasteners hold the machine together.
Note: The word "fasten" is just one of many words that have a silent "t" in the middle. Other words like this are whistle, listen, nestle, thistle, and castle.
Click here to learn more words.