May 5, 2014 - Word of the Day: gesture
People gesture to communicate. The use of the hands or other parts of the body have some sort of meaning.
- She gestured for the man to join her at the table. (This sentence uses "gesture" as a verb.)
- She used her finger when gesturing.
- The teacher made a gesture for the students to stop talking. (This sentence uses "gesture" as a noun.)
- A gesture from the man in the car indicated he was okay after the accident.
- The raised middle finger is considered an obscene gesture in the United States.
- A thumb pointed upwards is a widely used gesture that means something is good.
- His gesture indicates everything is okay.
Everything is okay.
The word "gesture" is also used to describe an intention or an action of some significance.
- Bringing flowers to the party was a very nice gesture.
- The gesture of friendship was welcomed by the other side. (the other side = opponents)
- An offer of money in certain situations is interpreted as a rude gesture.
Click here to learn more words.