May 15, 2014 - Word of the Day: stuck
When a person or a thing is stuck, it's difficult or impossible to move.
- His jacket is stuck in the door.
- Brian's car got stuck in the mud.
- Janet is stuck on a math problem. She needs help from the teacher.
- Help me. I'm stuck!
- The door is stuck. She can't get it open.
- The lid on this jar is stuck. Hit it a few times to unstick it.
- Sheila is stuck in traffic.
When this word is in the form of a verb, it's the past tense of "stick."
- The nurse stuck a needle in the man's arm. (stuck = put)
- Someone stuck a nasty picture of the teacher on the wall.
- The little girl stuck to her mother like glue as they walked through the market. (stuck = stayed with)
- Todd stuck with his version of events--even though the police knew he was lying.
Click here to learn more words.