September 29, 2014 - Word of the Day: benefit
In addition to receiving a paycheck from work, many workers receive benefits. Benefits take the form of bonuses, vacation pay, sick pay, a pension, retirement savings, etc. Benefits aren't exactly the same thing as receiving money, but they have value.
They're a form of compensation.
- Victoria had a job that offered good benefits.
- When she lost her job, she lost her benefits including health insurance.
- Health insurance is an important benefit that most people in the United States receive through their employer.
- What kind of benefits do you get at work?
You can also use the word "benefit" as a verb when describing something good that happens.
- Hamza benefits from having a large, supportive family.
- Students benefit from having access to new technology.
- This donation of one million dollars is going to benefit a lot of people who need help.
- Her work greatly benefits the company that she works for.
- Elderly people are among the millions of Americans who benefit from the social security system.
Click here to learn more words.