September 30, 2014 - Word of the Day: test
The word "test" can be a verb or a noun. Students in school takes tests to determine how much knowledge they have about a subject:
- The students are taking a test.
- How well did you do on the test?
- Do you like to take tests?
He's taking a test.
You can also use "test" when someone wants to determine the strength of something:
- Test the water with your finger to see how warm it is.
- The government is testing the soil for pollutants.
- Elizabeth tested her employees' honesty by leaving large amounts of cash lying around the office.
- Let's take this car out for a test.
- Hold on. I'm going to test the brakes on this car.
- You should test out any furniture you're thinking about buying by sitting in it.
Click here to learn more words.