April 1, 2015 - Word of the Day
A person who receives aid receives help.
- To afford college, most students need some kind of financial aid. (financial help)
- Aid was provided to a woman who lost her husband.
- People involved in a car accident were given first aid by paramedics.
- Rescuers came to the aid of a man who was lost in the wilderness.
- The starving people were in need of aid.
This word can also be used as a verb:
- Society should aid those* who are in need of care.
- Donations will aid those affected by the earthquake.
- Medicine aided the people who were afflicted with the virus.
- Family members of crash victims were aided by local residents.
A very slight difference in spelling is used when referring to a person who provides professional assistance. In this case the word "aid" has an "e" at the end of it.
- A nurse's aide helps nurses in a hosital.
- A personal aide provides daily assistance to a person who is very elderly or in a wheelchair.
- Aides to the president of a large company helps out with all sorts of small and large tasks.
Note: The word "those" is often used in place of the word "people."
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.