August 13, 2015
The word "legal" is used when talking about activities permitted or regulated by law.
- It's legal to own a gun in the United States.
- It's legal for people above the age of 21 to drink alcohol.
- It's not legal to have more than one spouse. That's illegal. (The word "illegal" is the opposite of "legal.")
- It's not legal to drive over the speed limit.
- It's illegal to bribe a police officer. (bribe = money paid to a police officer)
- If you get into trouble you might need to get legal advice from a lawyer.
- You can take legal action against a person or a group if you feel your rights have been violated.
- Legal matters are settled in court.
The word "legally" is an adverb.
- In most states you can legally get married at the age of 18. If you are 16, you need your parents consent.
- It's much better to enter the United States legally than to enter and remain illegally without the proper documentation.
He did something that was in illegal and now he's in jail.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.