February 15, 2015 - Word of the Day
If someone or something is original, it's unique, first, or new.
- That's an original design for a house.
- Her ideas are original and very inspiring.
- This song is not very original. I've heard something like it before.
- Modern artists take an original approach to art.
- The Cloud Gate sculpture in Chicago is an original and fascinating piece of public art.
first / new
- This house was designed by the original owner.
- The original settlers in this area arrived over one thousand years ago.
- This is a copy of the letter. Where's the original? (This sentence uses "original" as a noun.)
- The original 13 colonies in the United States became states after independence from England.
The word "originally" is an adverb:
- What country are you from originally? (This is a common question of people who move to the U.S. from other countries.)
- This old building was originally a single-family home. Now it's a museum.
- Originally, Tad wanted a career in medicine, but he changed his mind and became an architect instead.
Click here to learn more words.