February 21, 2015 - Word of the Day
The prefix "un" makes the word "able" negative. A person who is unable to do something doesn't have the ability, time, money, or other resources.
- Tanya was unable to make it to the meeting because she had a doctor's appointment.
- Ned is unable to walk because he's paralyzed.
- I'm unable to drive a car without my glasses.
- We're unable to stay much longer because we have to get back home.
Notice that this word is often used with an infinitive:
- He's unable to work.
- They're unable to come.
- I'm unable to pay the rent this month.
He's unable to see long distances wtihout his glasses.
Click here to learn more words.