January 12, 2015 - Word of the Day
Human beings need kidneys in order to process and eliminate liquid waste (urine) from the body. A person will die without at least one well-functioning kidney.
A kidney looks like this:
one kidney / two kidneys
Kidney transplants happen with regularity in the United States, but it's not always easy to find a donor (a volunteer who will provide a kidney or a person who dies and has the kidney removed). Take care of your kidneys by following a healthy lifestyle.
One common problem with kidneys is the development of kidney stones. A kidney stone is a calcium deposit which grows in the kidneys . If it gets too large it won't pass through the urinary tract and it will cause a tremendous amount of pain. Kidney stones sometimes require treatment by a doctor.
There are two things that are named after the shape of a kidney: beans and swimming pools.
- Kidney beans are used in soup, chili, and in salads.
- Kidney beans are a good source for fiber and protein in your diet.
- Do you like kidney beans?
- A popular shape for a swimming pool is that of a kidney.
- My neighbors have a kidney-shaped swimming pool.
Note: It's difficult for some people to pronounce this word because the "d" comes before an "n."
Click here to learn more words.