January 29, 2015 - Word of the Day
A map is a picture or a guide for finding the location of a place. Maps may also include information about geography, distances, industries, parks, and other places of interest.
- She's using a map.
- If you don't use a map, you might get lost.
- I carry a road map in my car.
- You can find a local map at a service station.
- If you have a smart phone, you can use Google maps.
- A world map shows the locations of countries around the world, but it's not an accurate portrayal of size and distance because it's flat. A globe is round and more accurate.
This is a globe.
The word "map" is also used as a verb. The preposition "out" goes with it to form "map out." To map out is to plan or create a route.
- Horatio is trying to map out his future.
- We mapped out a route for a road trip from Chicago to Miami.
- Early explorers in North America mapped safe routes for travelers to follow in order to cross the continent.
Click here to learn more words.