July 2, 2015
When you hear a loud sound, you can use the word "bang" to describe it.
- The firecracker went off with a bang.
- Ten seconds after lighting the fuse there was a bang.
- Did you hear that bang?
- Where did that bang come from?
- There was a loud bang from a gun.
- A gun goes bang bang.
- Stop that banging!
- The event kicked off with a bang. (Sometimes a bang is an activity.)
When this word is used as a verb, it means that someone or something is hitting an object. This produces noise or damage.
- Maria banged into another car in the parking lot.
- Someone is banging on the door.
- The police banged on the door and ordered the people inside to open up.
- If you bang on a window too hard, you might break it.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.