July 4, 2015
To dedicate oneself is to pledge loyalty and effort to a cause or to a group. A person makes sacrifices in order for something to be successful.
- Sharon dedicates a lot of time to her studying.
- She's a dedicated student.
- She is dedicated to becoming a doctor.
- Andrew dedicated himself to a career in the military.
- He dedicated his life to his country.
- He was a dedicated soldier.
- Many Americans dedicate their lives to service for their country.
- A parent should be dedicated to his or her children.
- A teacher should be dedicated to his or her students.
- A politician should be dedicated to the people who elected him or her to office.
The word "dedication" is a noun:
- Sharon's dedication to her studying will pay off in the future.
- To be a good athlete requires a lot of sacrifice and dedication to self-improvement.
- The young man's dedication was impressive.
- What is your level of dedication to your job?
They're very dedicated to their jobs.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.