July 14, 2015
A mixture is a combination of solids, liquids, or gases which produces a new thing.
- Carbon dioxide is a mixture of carbon and oxygen.
- A mixture of concrete is in a liquidy form until it's poured and hardens.
- A mixture of oil and water will separate over time because they don't mix well together.
- Cherries, sugar, cornstarch, and a little butter form a mixture that becomes the filling for a cherry pie.
- Granola is a mixture of oats, nuts, honey, and dried fruit, such as raisins.
- A mixture of flour, water, salt, and yeast produces bread dough.
This word may also be used to describe people or ideas:
- There was an interesting mixture of people at the party.
- Countries populated with a mixture of various religious groups do well under a secular form of government.
- A mixture of economic theories based on capitalism provides a foundation for the U.S. economic system.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.