November 1, 2015
To ail is to be sick.
- Henry is ailing from a bad back.
- Jennifer is taking care of her ailing mother. (In this sentence "ailing" is an adjective.)
- This medicine will surely cure what ails you.
- Oscar had been ailing from a mysterious sickness for weeks until he saw the doctor.
- What's ailing you?
The word "ailment" is a noun:
- A doctor can tell you exactly what kind of ailment you have.
- Some ailments are curable with medicine; others aren't.
- An ear infection is a common ailment.
- Bina is suffering from an incurable ailment.
- Acid reflux is an ailment that occurs in the digestive system.
He has some sort of stomach ailment that will require treatment from a doctor.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.