October 7, 2015
To gab is to talk at length, on the phone or in person. This is kind of a slang word, so it's not used by everyone, but it is common to hear this word used among speakers of American English.
- Theresa and Zahra can gab on the phone for hours.
- What are they gabbing about?
- The supervisor told the employees to stop gabbing and get back to work.
- Ned gabs on and on about his grandchildren and it get boring fast.
- We gabbed with the neighbors for a few hours at a party down the street.
- Henry has the gift of gab. He can talk about any topic at any time. (the gift of gab = the ability to talk easily.)
- A person with the gift of gab would make a good radio personality or talk show host.
talk show host
Note: The word "gab" is similar to the word "chat"; however, to chat with someone usually takes less time.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.