October 15, 2015
A pattern is an image that is repeated.
This is a pattern.
- A checkerboard pattern is popular for tablecloths and clothing.
- Patterns are often found in rugs and tapestries.
- The pattern above is made up of circles.
- Stripes are popular patterns. They can go in a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal direction. The pattern above has diagonal stripes.
- Patterns also show up in nature. The ferns in this picture form a pattern that is vertical and symmetrical. (symmetrical = even on both sides)
The word "pattern" is also used for behavior:
- The police were able to capture the criminal by examining his pattern of behavior.
- Stores know when they are going to be busy because customer shopping follows a certain pattern.
- Sentence patterns in English are studied in order to improve writing skills.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.