September 6, 2015
The word "fair" is similar to the words "equal" and "just." A fair situation usually satisfies everyone who is involved in it; however, there may be disagreement over what is fair and what isn't fair.
- Two countries agreed on a fair settlement of land.
- Everyone said the agreement was fair.
- A lawyer reviews agreements to make sure they are fair under the law.
- The laws should be fair and treat everyone equally.
- The company that Tony works for provides fair compensation to the employees.
- People protested in the streets because of an unfair law. (unfair = not fair)
Sometimes the word "fair" is used as an adverb when describing an amount:
- We received a fair amount of rain last night. (We received a good amount of rain.)
- A fair number of people are supporting that candidate for office.
Sometimes the word "fair" means "okay."
- The quality of his work is just fair.
- The turnout at the event was fair.
- He did a fair job but it wasn't great.
- Business last week was fair.
The word "fairly" is an adverb:
- The company treats its employees fairly.
- They are fairly treated. (They are treated well.)
- The workers are paid fairly for their effort.
- The police treated the suspect unfairly. (The suspect wasn't abused or mistreated.)
As an adverb, the word "fairly" is also used in a manner similar to the words "little," "somewhat," or "rather."
- This is fairly easy. (It's a little easy.)
- His job is fairly difficult. (It's somewhat difficult.)
- She became fairly successful as an actress. (She became rather successful.)
The word "fairness" is a noun:
- Everyone wants to be treated with fairness and respect.
- The fairness of the contract was called into question by our lawyer.
- A certain amount of fairness is expected in deciding what punishment a criminal should receive.
Finally, the word "fair" is a noun used to describe a gathering of people at a large event where there are competitions, entertainment, and celebrations.
- The Minnesota State Fair is one of the largest fairs in the United States.
- Mathilda entered her cow at the county fair and won second prize.
- The school fair is a fundraiser held annually.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.