April 9, 2016
A small bite of something is a nip.
- I could feel the fish nipping at my feet as they dangled in the water.
- Sandra's puppy gave her a little nip.
- The cold air is nipping at my nose.
- We're going to have to nip this problem in the bud before it becomes too big. (To "nip it in the bud" is an expression.)
- We need to nip it in the bud.
- The dog gave the man more than a little nip. It was definitely a bite.
That's not a nip!
Sometimes the word "nip" is short for the word "nipple."
- Bob has a big scar just below his left nip.
- A person's nips might get hard when it's cold outside or when getting out of a swimming pool.
- An actress let one of her nips slip out of her dress in order to get some attention from photographers.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.