Use the word "actual" to say that something is true or real, not imagined or fake.
- The game was played with actual money, not fake money.
- The woman on the plane was helped by an actual doctor.
- If this had been an actual emergency and not a drill, you would have been told where to go.
- What is the actual value of that gold necklace?
- Is that an actual gun he's carrying?
- This website was created by an actual English teacher.
Is that an actual gold tooth?
The word "actually" is a popular adverb that is used to emphasize a real situation.
actually (ak' chu wul lee)
- That man is actually planning to climb the side of that skyscraper.
- I thought this was going to be easy, but it's actually a lot of work.
- The meeting was planned for an hour, but it actually lasted much longer than that.
- We were actually surprised that Jeremy finished all of his courses with good grades.
- No one expected Carolyn to move to Europe, but she actually did it.
- Jose's English is actually improving after coming to this website.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: August 31, 2016