August 9, 2016
A game is a fun activity. There might be rules and a formal place for a game, but games don't always have rules or a structure. There are many different types of games.
- Would you like to play a game?
- Monopoly is a fun board game.
- Chess is a game of strategy.
- Roulette is a game of luck.
- Baseball is a sport, but it's also a game.
- Professional baseball teams play about 160 games per season.
- Football is a game that's played on a field.
- Basketball is a game that's played on a court.
- Children play all sorts of games, such as hide-and-seek, tag, and hopscotch. (These are not sports.)
- Some games have complicated sets of rules; other games have simple rules.
- The Summer Olympic Games are played every four years and attract competitors from all over the world.
There are some other ways to use the word "game."
- If you try to game the system, you are trying to do something that is a little dishonest.
- There are some people who receive assistance from the government and try to game the system.
- A person who plays games at work might try to create negative situations for coworkers.
- Our boss is a person who doesn't like to play games. He's very honest with his employees.
- A person who plays mind games tries to fool or outwit another person. Mind games are regarded as being somewhat rude or inappropriate.
- War games are military exercises in which soldiers pretend to fight against an enemy.
- A person who plays a lot of video games on a computer or through a video console is called a gamer.
- When you put on your game face, that means you are ready to compete.
- Are you game? If you are game, that means you are ready to do something.
- Game on! (I'm ready.)
The word "game" is sometimes used in reference to wild animals.
- A game park is an enclosed area where hunters can shoot at and kill wild animals.
- Game meat is the meat that comes from an animal such as a tiger, a bear, or a deer.
- If something tastes gamy, it tastes like game meat. This type of meat has a very strong taste. (Some people find game meat to be very disagreeable in taste and odor.)
- I don't like to eat shark meat. It tastes too gamy.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.