January 2, 2016
A budget is a plan for spending and managing money.
- Our company is creating a budget for the next fiscal year.
- This is a great place to shop if you don't have a big budget.
- Ludmilla tries to live according to her budget.
- The company went beyond its advertising budget.
- We need to look over our budget.
- Our budget won't allow for this big expense.
- That's going to break our budget. (It's too expensive for us.)
- How big is your budget?
- Budgeting is an important part of operating a business. (In this sentence, "budgeting" is a gerund.)
The word "budget" is also used as a verb:
- They've budgeted for a new car.
- Have they budgeted for insurance on that new car?
- You should budget your spending in order to avoid problems later.
Because the word "budget" is so closely associated with spending and shopping, it's often used as part of the name of a business:
- Sheila always shops at the Budget Warehouse.
- Budget Airlines has some of the cheapest rates for air travel.
- We rented some equipment at Budget Rental and saved a lot of money.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.