January 19, 2016
Use the word "overwhelm" when a situation becomes too difficult to manage.
- This is overwhelming.
- I feel totally overwhelmed.
- The amount of attention the young man received from the media was overwhelming. (He was happy but also surprised by the attention.)
- He was overwhelmed by media attention. (This sentence is in the passive voice.)
- It's overwhelming the amount of email that I have to look through every morning.
- I'm overwhelmed by email.
- Donations of food to survivors of the disaster were overwhelming.
- Volunteers were overwhelmed by the donations. It was too much for them to handle.
- The woman was so overwhelmed by the kindness of her coworkers, she began to cry.
This amount of snow is overwhelming.
The word "overwhelmingly" is an adverb.
- People who live in that neighborhood are overwhelmingly poor. (A large majority of the people are poor.)
- Responses to the survey were overwhelmingly positive.
- Refugees from the war were overwhelmingly grateful for the help that they received.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.