July 13, 2016
An aunt is your mother or father's sister. There are two ways to pronounce this word: aunt or aunt (ant). A majority of Americans use the second version: aunt.
- How many aunts do you have?
- When Peter and his wife had a baby, his sister became an aunt.
- If you are a woman, are you an aunt?
- My Aunt Barbara is married to my Uncle Mitch. They have four children. Their children are my cousins. (The words "aunt" and "uncle" are capitalized when they appear as titles).
- My Aunt Denise is unmarried.
- I have eight aunts and four uncles.
- My friend Nestor calls his aunt, auntie. Everyone in the family calls her Auntie Esther.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.