July 9, 2016
A father is a man who has children or is responsible for raising children.
- Samuel is a father of three.
- He's been a father for over ten years.
- He enjoys fatherhood. (fatherhood = a situation in which a man participates in raising children)
- In a wedding ceremony, the father of the bride gives his daughter away to her new husband.
- A step-father is a man who marries a woman with children. He becomes a step-father to the children.
- What does your father do for a living? (This is a common question that kids ask each other about their fathers.)
A Catholic priest is given the title of "Father." This is also a title given to God.
- Father Mike is our priest.
- He's the father at our church.
- Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..." (an excerpt from a Christian prayer)
The words "dad" and "daddy" are common substitutes for the word "father."
- Jessica's dad drove her to school this morning.
- What does your dad do for a living?
- Timmy looks forward to seeing his daddy arrive home from a three-week business trip.
The word "father" can be used as a verb. In this case, it indicates a man's involvement in the production of a child.
- Darryl has fathered a child.
- Wesley fathered two children before he left his wife.
- Men who father children must take responsibility for raising them.
The father or your father is your grandfather or grandpa.
- My grandfather was a fire fighter.
- Lester likes to go fishing with his grandpa.
- Pedro's great-grandfather moved to the United States in 1926. (great-grandfather = father of your grandfather)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.