May 18, 2016
Use the word "negative" to describe attitudes, opinions, responses, comments, and results. "Negative is the opposite of "positive."
- Yolanda has a negative attitude at work.
- Why is she so negative about everything?
- Don't be so negative.
- Harold developed negatives feelings about his job.
- It's a good idea to stay away from people who are negative if you want to succeed in life.
Responses and Comments :
- His answer to the proposal was negative.
- The reviews of the movie were mostly negative.
- The student countered the teacher's position with a negative argument.
- Public reaction to the speech was largely negative.
- Negative feedback from employees resulted in changes to their health insurance benefits.
- The results of the pregnancy test were negative.
- Mario tested negative for the virus.
- We're all relieved that the tests came back negative.
- The negative affects of alcohol on the body and the brain are well known.
Math and Science:
- If you multiply two negative numbers together, the result is a positive number.
- We studied negative ions in science class today.
- Peter's blood type is AB negative.
- Batteries have negative and positive terminals.
It's also possible to use "negative" as a noun:
- Their response was in the negative.
- You have to weigh the positives against the negatives when making a decision.
- The negativity in the room could not be offset by Maria's cheerful attitude.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.