Socks are worn on the feet for warmth and protection.
- Tom is wearing a pair of socks.
- The socks that he's wearing match. (They are the same color.)
- He has on a matching pair of socks.
- He has socks on his feet.
- I usually wear socks when I'm inside my house.
- A person who doesn't wear socks or shoes goes barefoot.
The word "sock" is also used as a verb. In this case, "sock" means hit.
- Oscar got socked in the eye. (Oscar got hit.)
- Someone socked him.
- A big storm socked the east coast.
- The people on the east coast got socked by a storm.
- We got socked by an increase in our taxes last year.
- The government really socked it to us.
Date of publication: November 23, 2016