A wall is a structure built for protection of an area, or it provides privacy and organization within a building.
- A load-bearing wall helps provide support within a house.
- An exterior wall is insulated to protect people from cold weather.
- If an interior wall is too thin, you can hear through it.
- Many people like to put pictures on their walls so that they won't be so bare.
- A bare wall has nothing on it.
- Walls in the United States are made of wallboard or plaster.
- The average height of a wall inside a house is eight feet.
- Prisons build strong walls in order to prevent prisoners from escaping.
- Donald Trump says he's going to build a wall along the border of the United States and Mexico, and Mexico is going to pay for it.
There are many famous walls:
- The Great Wall of China was built to protect ancient Chinese empires starting in the 7th century BC. The wall is so long that it can be seen from space.
- The Wall of Jericho was built in 8000 BC in present-day Jordan and Lebanon. It's believed to have provided flood protection.
- The Western Wall (or Wailing Wall) in Jerusalem is a holy site for Jewish people who go there to pray.
- The Berlin Wall was built between east and west Berlin during the Cold War, but the people of the city tore down the wall in 1989.
- People who work on Wall Street in New York make money by trading stocks and bonds.
- The Wall is a rock album put out by the band Pink Floyd in 1979.
- Mending Wall is a poem written by Robert Frost.
Date of publication: November 28, 2016