A gust is a strong burst of wind. Gusts can be unexpected and destructive.
- Gusts of wind from hurricanes are very powerful.
- A gust of wind came along and blew a lot of leaves off of the trees.
- A strong gust of wind blew the roof off of a business.
- Truckers are aware that a strong gust of wind can blow their trucks off course, causing them to lose control.
The word "gust" is also a verb:
- The wind is gusting at up to 60 and 70 miles per hour.
- The wind can gust strongly enough to take down an entire tree.
The word "gusty" is an adjective.
- The wind is gusty today.
- It's important to pay attention to gusty winds when driving over a bridge.
- Gusty winds blew over a tree.
- Gusty winds over the lake are creating big waves.
The wind is gusty today.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: October 8, 2016