If something is ongoing, it's continuing. It's happening now or it's happening at the same time that something else is happening.
- When Charles went to the doctor, he complained about an ongoing cough.
- U.S. involvement in the war in Afghanistan has been ongoing for over 15 years.
- No one knows, but Rachel and Jim have had an ongoing relationship for the last few months.
- An ongoing construction project is causing major traffic delays in our neighborhood.
- There's an ongoing investigation into allegations of tax fraud at that company.
- An ongoing election has people paying more attention to the news than they would normally.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: October 18, 2016