A gadget is a tool or a device. It's usually useful, but it might not be.
- I have a gadget for removing the oil filter from my car.
- My friend, Bob, has an interesting gadget in his Swiss army knife, but he's not sure what it's used for.
- Hardware stores sell gadgets for fixing things around the house.
- There are all sorts of gadgets that can be used in the kitchen for preparing food.
- A garlic press is a gadget used for crushing and cutting garlic.
- A potato peeler is a gadget used for peeling potatoes.
- An ice cream scoop is a gadget that scoops out ice cream.
- Some gadgets are very practical, but it's also true that some gadgets are not useful or impractical.
Someone invented a gadget for tying shoe laces, but it's not very practical.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: September 12, 2016