A lake is a large body of water that is surrounded by land. The water in a lake is almost always fresh. That means you can drink it if it's clean. Lake water is usually not salty. A lake is much smaller than an ocean, and larger than a pond.
- It's fun to go to the lake.
- Lakes with sandy beaches are very popular.
- There are over 14,000 lakes in Minnesota.
- A dock is a place from which boats can be launched onto the lake.
- These sailboats are on the lake.
- People who like to sail take their boats out onto the lake.
There are five Great Lakes in the United States: Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Lake Ontario, Lake Huron, and Lake Erie.
- Lake Superior is the deepest and largest of the five Great Lakes.
- Chicago is on Lake Michigan.
Note: The Great Lakes are shared by the United States and Canada. Boats from all over the world are able to visit the Great Lakes thanks to a lock and dam system.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: September 17, 2016